Project Type: Select a service:
- Filing and Translation
- Translation Only
Filing Type: Select filing type:
- EP Grant with an option to add Validation
- EP Validation
- Direct Filing
- PCT National
- Direct Filing
Application or Publication No.: Enter an application or publication number. The following formats are accepted:
- Application No.:
YY999999 or YY999999.9 where
YY = last 2 digits of the year filed
999999 or 999999.9 = 6-digit sequence No. with an optional check digit.
- Publication No.:
EP = “EP”
9999999 = 7-digit sequence No.
- International Application No.:
PCT/CCYY/99999 or PCT/CCYYYY/999999, where
PCT = “PCT”
CC = 2-character Country Code
YY = last 2 digits of the year filed
YYYY = 4-digit year filed
99999 or 999999 = the 5- or 6-digit sequence No.
- International Publication No.:
WO = “WO”
YYYY = 4-digit year filed
999999 = the 6-digit sequence No.”
This application claims priority: This option in Direct Filing workflows is enabled by default, but can be deselected for first filing applications without priority data. If it’s enabled, the following fields are required and need manual input.
- Priority Application Number
- Priority Country: This field also appears in PCT National projects, where it’s automatically populated from WIPO.
- Priority Application Filing Date: In Direct Filing workflows, the date picker on this field defaults to a year ago, to make it easier to find the date you need. This field also appears in PCT National projects, where it’s automatically populated from WIPO.
Add Priority Application: Use this option if your application claims more than one priority.
Reference Number: A manually entered number is required to proceed. This can be a case number from your docketing system, or any other identifier you would like to use.
International Filing Date: The field is automatically set to 12 months from the Priority Application Filing Date in PCT National projects.
30-Month Deadline: The field is automatically set to 30 months from the earliest priority date.
Filing Deadline: This field in Direct Filing workflows is automatically set to 12 months from the earliest priority date.
Requested Deadline: Use this field to indicate your preferred project completion date, if any. The field is optional in filing workflows and required for translation orders.
71(3) Intention to Grant Date: The date is automatically populated from EPO.
71(3) Deadline: The date is automatically set to four months from the 71(3) Intention to Grant Date.
97(1) Decision to Grant Date: The date is automatically populated from EPO.
97(1) Deadline: The date is automatically set to three months from the 97(1) Decision to Grant Date.
Drafting Agent: The list is created as part of your Services Portal account setup. Please contact your Questel representative if you need to modify the options.
Translation Quality: This field only appears in the Other translation workflow, intended for non-patent IP work.
- The displayed quality levels are based on your contract, with typical options including Publication/Filing and Reference.
- If a desired option is not listed, please contact your account manager to set it up.
- All patent workflows assume Publication/Filing quality, which is our highest quality level.
Source Language: The source language data is used as a basis for translation.
- In EP workflows, the procedural language is used by default, but you can change it if that will help achieve translation cost savings. The most common approach is to change the French or German source language to English.
- Source language data is collected from WIPO in PCT National workflows.
- It is auto-populated based on Priority Country in Direct Filing workflows.
Target Languages: The field only appears in EP Grant workflows, and defaults to two EP procedural languages different from the source.
- When the source language is modified, the target languages are adjusted automatically.
- You can remove one of the target languages if you already have an available translation.
Case Manager: Correspondence about this project will be sent to the email address(es) associated with the case manager selected.
- The drop-down list is created as part of your Services Portal account setup. Please contact your Questel representative if you need to modify the options.
Total Claims: The claim count for your application is populated automatically in EP and PCT National workflows, and requires manual entry in Direct Filing workflows.
- To avoid access claim fees, you can manually edit the project-level claim count on the Overview page. You can also adjust jurisdiction-level claim counts later in the workflow.
Total Pages: This field is automatically populated from EPO or WIPO, or from uploaded documents in Direct Filing estimates. It is manually entered in Direct Filing projects.
Additional Recipients: This drop-down menu displays a list of additional recipients created in user settings.
- You can also add recipients directly in this field. If added here, the email addresses will be used in notifications about the current project only.
Add Validation Jurisdictions: This optional checkbox appears in EP Grant workflows. Selecting it allows you to choose validation jurisdictions on the following page.
Inventor Information: Inventor names and addresses in EP and PCT National workflows are automatically populated from online sources, and require manual entry in Direct Filing orders.
Applicant Information: Applicant names and addresses in PCT National workflow are automatically populated from WIPO, and require manual entry in Direct Filing orders.
- Please add citizenship information when available. The field is optional.
- You can edit applicant information in PCT National and Direct Filing projects.
- To add a new applicant, select from the list of options or enter a new one. Once a new applicant has been added, this entry will appear as an option in future projects.
- The data is provided for verification purposes only and is not editable in EP projects. If changes are needed, please request them using the Special Filing Instructions field.
Custom Translation Fields: If you have any preferred fields that typically appear on your translation invoices, they will be displayed in your Services Portal translation workflows.
Jurisdiction Reference Number: This field is required if any filing or validation jurisdictions are selected.
- If you have any reference number templates you would like to use here, please provide them to your account manager. They will be added to the portal for your future use.
- You can have multiple templates set up if needed. The system will automatically choose the right template based on the reference number format entered on project level.
- If no template is provided, the automatically suggested template will be used, with project reference number followed by country code.
- You can also modify any numbers or enter all numbers manually.
Billing Number: This optional field can be used if you have any jurisdiction-specific number you would like to enter for billing purposes.
Additional Jurisdiction Information - Independent Claims: This field appears when US, RU, or VN are selected in Direct Filing and PCT National filing workflows.
- By default, the jurisdiction-level number is populated based on your project-level entry.
- You can manually edit the number or proceed with the default.
Additional Jurisdiction Information - Entity Status: This field appears when US is selected in Direct Filing and PCT National filing workflows.
- By default, the Large status is selected.
- You can change the status to Small if applicable or proceed with the default.
Claims: This jurisdiction-level field appears in Direct Filing and PCT National filing estimates.
- The values are automatically populated based on your project-level entry.
- You can manually edit individual fields to avoid excess claim fees where applicable, or proceed with default values.
Translation Needed: This option is automatically deselected anywhere it’s not required.
- In EP workflows, the option is read-only.
- In Direct Filing and PCT National types, you can manually deselect the checkbox if you do not require translation services as part of the filing order.
Request Exam: You can use the global switch to request exam for all jurisdictions, or customize your instructions by jurisdiction in Direct Filing and PCT National projects.
Deliver Translation to Agents: This setting in translation workflows is enabled by default. It indicates that Questel will deliver your translation directly to agents.
- You can deselect this option if you prefer for translations to be delivered to you instead.
- Even when agent delivery option is used, you will be able to download translated files in the portal upon project completion.
Agent and Agent Contact: These jurisdiction-level fields appears in translation workflows if the Deliver Translation to Agents option is enabled.
- The drop-down lists are created as part of your Services Portal account setup. Please contact your Questel representative if you need to modify the options.
Prosecuting Agent: The field is automatically populated with the default prosecuting agent set for your account in the Questel database. Other agents are available for selection as well.
- Reach out to your Questel representative if additional options are needed.
Upload Documents: The field is required in certain workflows such as Direct Filing, but is optional in most.
- Application documents will be automatically downloaded from online sources whenever available.
- The information tooltip next to this field provides workflow specific suggestions on documents that may need to be uploaded.
Special Filing Instructions: Enter any additional instructions you would like to provide in relation to the filing process.
Special Translation Instructions: Enter any additional instructions you would like to provide in relation to the translation process.